PSA: Windows 7 end of support means: Scavenge all the 'old' computers! It be raining computing devices (prolly also a lot of data because newbs) which can be transformed with a single USB to a fully fledged linux workstation! i3-i5 intels for the grabs, if you're lucky i7!
Think: Companies, Libraries, Schools and Most of all Government institutes (they prolly be dumping their XP boxes and having a hard day finding out that their new integrated systems now function on 7 and need 5 years + millions to get to run on 10)
Free!!!! OEH! and if you're really lucky, they be thinking that they need new monitors too, because of win10
People who obsess over software licenses: have you seen this new "non-violent" public license?
I have a question: If someone uses this license for software that includes GPL'd code, isn't that a violation of the GPL? This license puts arbitrary restrictions on what the software can be used for, which, seemingly, simultaneously violates Freedoms 0, 2, and 3.
(my fedi client will be fully GPL'd Btw)
Client it is. Triggering people who get triggered by their public posts being public will come another day.
Client will be:
1) PyQt5. Cross platform. No Electron.
2) tabbed, QTreeView. Very high density. Should be unique. Meant for power users.
3) multiple accounts, of course!
4) Open a unified timeline, individual timelines, instances' public timelines, in tabs
5) Tor support, per-account
6) User agent can be changed, so nobody can punish you for using r000t's software
Mastodon is, as we all know, a clone of Twitter.
Twitter was, since it was created, designed to be a broadcast mechanism first and foremost. This goal shaped the very format of the service. The reason to make a Twitter account was to make use of the broadcast mechanism to publish a message, to the public. This is where the idea of "personal brands" came from.
The whole point is that it's public, to get a message to as many people as possible.
If you don't like this >>>Try Forum Software<<<
Really bad analogy.
1) Plenty of people take pictures of graffiti and children's sidewalk chalk drawings. There are communities dedicated to this.
2) Nobody was scraping your posts while you were drafting them. Your public statuses were scraped after YOU pushed them to a decentralized network of potentially thousands of unique servers representing hundreds of thousands of unique people.
@r000t last time I suggested to maybe not post every brain diarrhea publically I was deemed an enemy of the people. So tbh: who gives a shit about $latest_outrage? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Person: Posts public missives publicly to public timelines for public consumption by members of the general public
Members of the general public: *Consumes publicly posted content posted publicly to public timelines for consumption by members of the public*
Person: THIS IS JUST LIKE GETTING MUGGED ON THE STREET SMH MY DATA WAS STOLEN
I shitpost, and I protect Ekko. This is my purpose.
Yes, I should drive you wild.
A silly domain for test deploys, now has a mastodon instance. A place for memes as shitty as the name. Zero bullshit tolerated.